We have setup an Automated CSV Feed system to allow you to automatically sync data between your POS system and your website using CSV inventory reports. As there are specific configuration files that will need to be setup, please contact your STN Project Manager if you wish to use this Automated CSV Feed system.
This is a feed process that works as follows:
- You will need to install a third party FTP File Uploading application on your local computer. This will need to be installed on a machine where you can easily export POS Inventory Reports. See a list of supported ftp applications below.
- From your POS system, you will generate a standard inventory report with these fields: Item Number | Quantity on Hand | Price. This report can be automatically generated, or manually generated, depending upon the capability of your POS system.
- The FTP Uploader will automatically feed the CSV reports to the web server. The FTP Uploader monitors a specific folder on your computer. Whenever you save a new version of your CSV inventory report, this application will send the inventory report to the webserver to be processed.
- Your website will automatically process new CSV reports. Your web server has a corresponding program to monitor the incoming folder. When a new CSV has been uploaded, the web server will process the file, updating your web store product data.
Scheduling inventory updates:
- We recommend that an automated POS Report Generation script be setup to create a new inventory report every 2-4 hours. The CSV feed system can be setup to run as frequently as every hour. Due to overlapping system routines, it may take up to 1 hour for a new report to be processed.
- If you need an immediate upload, you can use the manual CSV Import tools built into the cart.
Verifying your POS-to-Web data:
- As the system relies upon your website’s SKU to match your POS item number, we recommend you regularly use the Modified Date column in your website’s product editor to check for products that are not in sync. An item with a modified date older than your latest inventory feed should be considered to be “out of sync”, and as such will not be getting your price or inventory updates.
a note: when discontinuing items, be sure you feed a final 0 in_stock qty of the item to the website before removing it from any CSV report files. In other words, if you have an item with 1 qty left, then delete that record from POS data (or don’t include it in the CSV report) the website will not get updated to indicate the item is no longer in stock. It will stay at 1 qty until a trigger event changes it.
The website inventory will only change for an item when:
- a web order is placed for the item
- you manually change the inventory level for an item
- you feed an in_stock qty for the item
- The website inventory will only change for an item when:
FTP Applications and setup costs:
- We recommend Fling FTP, Standard Edition from NCH Software for Windows Systems, and Yummy FTP Watcher from Yummy Software for Mac OS. Other automated FTP applications may work just as well.
STN will track and invoice for time required to configure and assist in the setup or ongoing maintenance of this system. Typically, setup and running instructions take 1-2 hours, but may vary depending upon the complexities of your particular store.